This page is intended to provide answers to a variety of frequently asked questions regarding enrolment in the University. These questions will continue to be updated over time to include additional responses to key questions that may not be reflected here.

Can I still apply for admissions?

Application for admissions to UB is as follows:

  • All applications must be submitted by the last March 28, 2018 for admission in August of the same year.
  • Applicants requesting early responses must submit their application early.

When will I get a response from UB?

The Office of Admission operates on an eight week turn-around response time. Therefore, you should anticipate a response up to 2 months after submitting your application; otherwise immediately contact the Office at 8222-1000.

What are UB’s admission requirements?

The general requirements include the following summarized information, details of which are outlined on the *Application Form:

  • one (1) completed program application for BZ$30 and US$15
  • one (1) passport size photograph;
  • two recommendations using UB forms provided
  • Please see program requirements for specific requirements
  • official transcripts – from all Secondary (high) schools attended – 4th Formers must have at least 1 semester/quarter/term of their 4th year included in their transcript; applicants seeking to transfer credits from Junior Colleges must submit also, official transcripts from those institutions
  • certified proof of citizenship (bio page in your passport; social security, birth certificate along with photo ID or National certificate. Permanent Residents (PR) must submit certified copy of PR Stamp and bio page of passport.
  • certified copy of all standardized test scores (ATLIB, CXC, SAT, ACT and GCE)
  • certified copy of Diploma or certificates from academic or professional courses/training.
  • Josef Silny Accreditation Certification for International Students

Can I change programs while my application is processing?

Yes, you can change your program during the application process. You are required to complete the Change of Information on Application Form and submit through email to admissions@ub.edu.bz

All emails must be sent from the same email account of your initial application to the University.

Can I make changes to my profile information?

Yes. If you wish to change your email address you will be required to submit a *Change of Student Profile Information form along with proof of identity.

Note: It is extremely important that you provide us with a working email address when applying and that you check your email often after you have submitted your application. All correspondence to you will be done through email only.  Also be sure to provide us with a cell phone number in the event that we need to send you a text message.

Deferral of acceptance

Upon being accepted to the University, you may postpone your entry for upto one year. For example, if you were accepted for August 2017 you may choose not to start at that time but rather to start in August 2018; you are required to defer your acceptance. This is done by completing, paying for and submitting a *Deferral Form to the Office of Admissions; cost of form is BZ$30.00 and US$15.00.

Deadline to defer: June 30 for August intake

What if I desire to change from the program I originally applied for?

This is only possible if the applicant requests that change before the University officially responds to his/her application status. Any requests for change submitted after an applicant receives his/her Official Response Letter is void; a new application is required.

What if I did not submit all my documents?

  • Once and applicant attempts to submit an incomplete application, this is immediately returned for completion.
  • Also, a UB student who possesses a block on his/her account is required to clear that block to enable processing of their application. Once the block is cleared, the applicant must inform the Office of Admissions so processing of application can commence.

Placement Tests and Interviews may be required

  • The University uses the ATLIB score to determine the English and Math placement of students who have not yet taken college level courses. If you have not taken a college level English or Math course and have not taken the ATLIB exams, you will be required to sit UB’s English and/or Math Placement Test. Test dates and costs are available on the University’s website at ub.edu.bz
  • Fourth Formers – Please check the website for the College MATH and College English placements according to ATLIB Scores.
  • The University may require an applicant to attend an admissions interview and/or courses at the Centre for Open and Distance Learning (CODL) to be considered for admission. Visit the CODL website at moodle.ub.edu.bz for information on course.

As a Junior College student, are my courses transferrable?

Please refer to UB’s transfer matrix at https://portal.ub.edu.bz/ for Junior College courses within Belize that are transferrable to UB. International students who want to transfer courses into UB will need to provide the Office of Admissions with an official, sealed copy, of course outline/syllabus for all courses they wish to transfer. Note carefully that course transfers only become official when approved by the UB Dean of Faculty and the Registrar.

How can I access financing for my studies and associated expenses?

The Development Finance Corporation (DFC) offers up to 100% student financing which can cover tuition and fees, Books and Materials (Laptop etc), Traveling costs and Boarding and Lodging.

See here for DFC benefits and application requirements. You can also submit a DFC Loan Enquiry request here. Once submitted, a DFC Representative will contact you by email or phone within 48 hours. (Monday – Friday)