The University of Belize (UB) is hosting the CXIII Session of the Consejo Superior Universitario Centro Americano (CSUCA – Central American Higher Education Council). This is the first time this annual session is being held in Belize and is being hosted by the University of Belize
The CSUCA is one of the oldest regional organization of higher education systems in the world, where its members consist of public universities from the countries of the Central American Integration System (SICA) – Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and the Dominican Republic. CSUCA aims to promote Central American integration, and particularly the integration and strengthening of higher education in Central American societies.
The objective of this two-day session is to report on the activities of CSUCA for the 2018-2019 year and to engage in information sharing of the work of CSUCA’s seven (7) sub-committees:
1. Sistema de Evaluación y Armonización de la Educación Superior (SICEVAES – Committee for Evaluation and Harmonization of Higher Education)
2. Sistema de Centroamericano y del Caribe de Investigación y Posgrado (SIRCIP – Central American and the Caribbean Commission for Research and Graduate Studies)
3. Sistema de Vida Estudiantil (SIREVE –Commission for Student Life)
4. Sistema de Internacionalización de la Educación Superior Centroamericana (SIESCA – Commission for the Internationalization of Higher Education Systems of Central America)
5. Sistema de Centroamericano de Relación Universidad-Sociedad (SICAUS – Committee for University and Society Relationship)
6. Sistema Integrado de Información Documental Centroamericano (SIIDCA – Integrated Committee for Documentary Information)
7. Sistema Editorial Universitario Centroamericano (SEDUCA –Central American University Editorial Committee)
Discussion for this session will focus primarily on policies relating to the internationalization of CSUCA Universities, graduate studies, student mobility between the Universities and standards for institutional accreditation for member universities.
One of the most significant outcome of this meeting for UB will be the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that is to be signed with the University of Nicaragua – Managua (UNAN-M). UB has partnered with UNAN-M to develop UB’s Medical Program and to aid in developing its Faculty of Health Science.
This two-day session, being held on April 10th – 11th, 2019, will be chaired by the President of CUSCA, Professor Emeritus Clement Sankat – UB’s President and will be co-chaired by CUSCA’s Secretary General, Dr. Carlos Alvarado Cerezo.
CSUCA is to improve the quality of higher education in Central America through the creation and transmitting of knowledge and the dissemination of shared experiences in an effort to guide actions to achieve the common good of Central America in order to fully participate in the solution of global problems.